Tuesday, May 20, 2008

From my study

This is going to be all over the place , try to keep up. Sorry this prompted many thoughts. I should edit it but I'm way to tired.
Hebrews 2:1-4
1 For this reason we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. 2 For if the word spoken through angels proved unalterable, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense, 3 how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation? After it was at the first spoken through the Lord, it was confirmed to us by those who heard, 4 God also bearing witness with them, both by signs and wonders and by various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit according to His own will.
Observation/Spiritual Lesson: Application:
In verse 1 we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. - are we paying attention to the things we learn? Paying attention implies having knowledge and wisdom to know what to do with it. The Word states
Prov. 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction
Prov. 2:10 For wisdom will enter your heart And knowledge will be pleasant to your soul
According to Proverbs 1:7 – I am either living in the fear of God which gives me the ability to have knowledge from God, not that insightful wisdom that most of us as women have, or I despise wisdom, meaning I hear the truth but choice not to do it. Maybe it’s just to hard or I’m not sure what it will look like or there is always I figure I can push it off for another time way of thinking going on in my head. Well, which ever it, I am a fool. Well that sure puts it pretty point blank. No coming up with any other explanation of that scripture. So my question has to be in what area am I playing the fool and how long do I think I can ride this wave of Gods grace and mercy before He has to force the knowledge on me?
How many times do I need to learn the same painful lesson? - This is not having knowledge. Proverbs 1:7 states in the 2nd part of that verse ‘fools despise wisdom and instruction’ – ouch ! – how often do I know the right thing, I may even continue to ask for the same prayer request because I know it is right thing to do, but still it does not become a reality in my life because I choose to be the fool. I choose to do the convenient, the easy thing. The thing my flesh is most versed in doing Okay, let’s be honest this is very unpopular. But truthful we must admit. So what do we do? – How do we move away from being the foolish? How do we allow each other in, in a way that we accept accountability? What will it take for God to move us away from our own foolishness? - Something hard my hit our lives – we call it a trial. Now, not to get off on a rabbit trail within a rabbit trail but isn’t it funny, we often view our trails as a work God is doing in us. Okay, that is partially true but we must be honest here, most of the time it is from our own foolishness that we are in most of our difficult circumstances. Example – I was just speaking to a friend and she was really struggling with an issue of bitterness, now by all means the situation really was a hard one and would make most people upset. However, I asked her how her quiet times – her study times - her prayer times have been – well you guessed it she hadn’t been doing any of that very much for a few weeks. This situation had taken control of her life. You see my point is, her bitterness issue over a certain circumstance can not be viewed as a trial by God. It’s a mess she has put her self into because she is not really abiding in the Lord enough to truly have God's heart on the situation. We need to look at the things in our life that are bugging us and simply ask ourselves, do I have God's perspective on this?
Back to having knowledge. I'll simply say, I believe that all to often we live being more connected to the Old testament then the teachings of the New Testament. What I mean is, if an angel appeared and gave us instruction, I believe we would have no problem doing what that angel said but we have Jesus Christ through His Spirit guiding and correcting us and we struggle and pick and choose what we will obey and what we will pretend we don’t know.
Drift away – shows an area of neglect – this is a warning to me ,to us that we need to pay full attention meaning knowing it and walk in it, other wise we will drift away for the things of God.
I used to do a spiritual report card in and agape group years ago. Thought it would be fun to do a simply one, to measure how susceptible I am to drifting away.
1-7 (days)
Prayer time 7
Study time 4
Quiet time 5
So my deduction would have to be honestly that I am not functioning at a complete abiding level in Christ – which leaves room for the enemy to come in with His lies. Room for my flesh to want to do things my way, because it sounds best. Room to drift away and not even realize it.

1 comment:

God's Girl said...

Thanks for sharing. It is so parallel to what I just studied last week... Hard, but good!
Love you friend!
Julie