Saturday, May 31, 2008

Back to the Hebrews study

Verses 1-2
1 Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard.
Observation/Spiritual Lesson: Application/ Steps:
To come short of His rest because I chose to not walk in faith of what I have heard or even learned. If I am not in a place of resting in Christ clearly this verse shows me that it is because I have chosen to not walk in the manner that God is requiring me to walk. Having just had to say goodbye to my sweet dear friend, Peggy Evans, I got a sweet gift from my Jesus in the midst of grieving, which shows a bit of what this is all about.
The morning after her earthly death, I woke up after only having about 3 hours of sleep. I was lying in my bed thinking of how she died and what she was doing at that time. You see Peggy had just had knee surgery 3 weeks prior. She was at her home having in home physical therapy. Now if you don’t already know it PT is really hard, painful and absolutely no fun at all. However, Peggy knew that she needed to push herself, to allow the hard uncomfortable, painful work to happen , so that she would be able to walk correctly. So here she was working hard, enduring the pain and discomfort in order to one day walk without the pain, to walk rightly. She had just finished up her PT and now it was time for her to take her walk, to work out the hard work of the PT with just simply walking. Then just as my sweet Jesus often does for me, He spoke such wisdom to my heart that morning. Isn’t that just how we are supposed to be living our life in Christ, allowing the hard trials, the discomfort, the pain to come our way and we are to push through, daily. Doing whatever is required in order for us to walk rightly this Christian walk abiding in our Lord Jesus. I don’t really understand it, I’m sure it has a lot to do with God’s promise that His compassion is new every morning.
Lamentation 3:22-23 The LORD'S loving kindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.

But hearing this truth, gave me such peace and comfort – the ache in my heart went away and I could see the absolute beauty of God had done.
Wednesday morning, Peggy was about Gods work, working on ministry things for her husband, Pastor Maury. She had written sweet emails of thanks, sent out cards. Her heart was pure and sweet being about others, loving on people and taking care of the task and duties that would make her husband’s ministry easier for him. All this in the midst of her pain and right before her PT. For this amazing pillar of God’s beauty here on earth was living out His Word, she was running the race well and she won!
1Corth. 9:24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but {only} one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.

Peggy lived in a place of rest in Jesus even when it was painful. This is an example for me to remember when the storms come ( which is now) that they are there by His Hands and I can find rest in and through it if I simply endure and persevere and run, run this race. Putting feet to my faith and going forward ,no matter what! Thank you Peggy for what my seem simple to others, yet powerful once again wisdom for me, from your life. The timing is perfect and I fell blessed to have this gift from her life.
This one is for you Peggy, all the hours you spent spanking me ;0) your efforts were not in vain. I chose to walk, I chose to run. Right now I am being crushed yet I find rest. If He is doing the crushing, then His hands are the ones on me. Thank you Jesus.

2 comments:

God's Girl said...

Thanks for sharing Susan. Your thoughts (and God's thoughts) really encouraged me! This has been a rough week... I needed to hear this right now.

I love you dearly!

Julee Huy said...

I don't have words to say tonight, but I wanted to let you know that I love you.

Janette came up to me today and I wanted to hug her, but felt silly. Then she said "do you remember that little study we did?" Do I remember??!! I guess she doesn't know I call them "my old ladies." Tonight I wish I had hugged her and let her know how much she means to me, you'd have thought I'd have been thinking quick enough to do that on a day like today. Janette intrigues me because she has a lot of kids and I know she's got wisdom stored in that head of hers.

It was a good day. An odd one. I held off thinking on this until today, but then spent the day rejoicing Peggy's life.I feel like I just need to have a good cry, but today wasn't the day to do it.

I also was blessed to have a brief moment with Maury. I'll never forget it. He's a good man. I always say "they just don't make men like Maury anymore."

So sweet friend, whom I only communicate with during these "life moments." I want you to know again that I treasure our friendship as odd as it is. Thank you for inviting me to that study and giving me the pleasure of sitting at the feet of a woman like Peggy.

Now I just need to figure out how to do a transfer of knowledge from Janette!

I know I said I didn't have words to say, I'm just rambling here...

Good night dear.

- Julee