Friday, August 22, 2008

Inductive Study - what and how


Let me preface this by saying this is my way. Not the only way. I am at all not the authority or expert on this at all. I just know what I have grown to love and what works for me.

Inductive Bible Study For Life Application.
This is a way of studying the Word of God verse by verse looking at what God is speaking to your heart and getting application and coming up with practical steps for yourself so you can grow in that area God is speaking to you about. Other studies are awesome and used greatly by God, are typically, of course, being written with the authors learning style and their own ‘rabbit trials’. Please know that I think other studies are good and absolutely of God. This is just what currently works best in my life.
I typically don’t use commentaries unless I am completely stumped then I will use one as a spring board to prompt a thought in my head. I believe that commentaries are great tools. The reason I don’t use them much is because I get lazy, that’s all. I like looking up words in the original language this always brings a deeper understanding of what God is saying. So the great news is there really isn’t a wrong answer, except if you come up with some heresy ;0).

Here are the 3 step:
Step 1
Getting Started. Get your Bible and find a comfortable, quiet place to read. Always begin your Bible reading by praying and asking God to calm your heart, focus your thoughts and ask God to help you see what He has for you in His Word. I will often even ask God to speak to me about something I am specifically seeking Him on at the time.

‘Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in Your Law’ – Psalm 119:18
The first day read the entire Chapter so you are seeing it in context.
It is always best to read the passage 2-3 times.

Briefly describe in your own words what you have read. Think about if you were sitting with a friend and telling them what you read, what would you say?
Or you can simply write the verses as you see it word per word ( this is currently how I am doing it) from your Bible. If while you are writing something seems to stir in you with one of those hhuummm moments then highlight it. That is possibly God getting ready to speak to you. You will go back later and look at the very thing you highlighted.

Step 2
Observation
– What do I see? (Spiritual lesson)
Read the verses and write what you see. – Who? What? When? Where? Is there a command? Is there a promise? Is there a correction? Who is mentioned and what are they doing? What is happening now to the character? How do the main characters respond to their situation? Is this a response that honors God or dishonors God?

Step 3
Application
– How does it apply to me? Does this show me how I should act? How I should not act? How will I apply it to my life? It’s good to write the steps you will take to accomplish what God is putting on your heart. Often we are seeing something that needs to be changed in us and the best way to do that is by writing practical steps in accomplishing that change.



That’s it, that’s all there really is to it.

We all process differently and there is no right or wrong. I get off on rabbit trails. I might see a word that stirs me and I’ll go off on a whole study on that word.

Others can see the simplicity of the lesson and are moved by it. Remember it’s all about learning styles - not one getting more than the other / better or worse. I have been in studies for many years seeing women become defeated because some of us fill up 2 pages for 1 simple truth. They may have 3-4 sentences for the exact same thing. This is learning processing style. Please don’t let the enemy rip you off thinking anything differently. He is a LIER!!!

I pray you all will pray about incorporating this in to your walk with Jesus. I promise you will never ever regret it. There are many thing s that Inductive has brought to my walk but one I will share is the ability to give an account for the things I do or don’t do . To be able to tell people how God through His Word guides me in the things I do in my life has kept me from going down wrong paths many times. Not that they were wrong. They just were not what He was calling me to. The feeling of knowing that the God of the universe has taken the time to speak to my heart about anything is humbling and complete joy all rolled into one.
Sorry so long you can see this is very dear to my heart.
I will post an example later.

Keep chasing righteousness!!!









1 comment:

My Blessed Life said...

I love this it's my very favorite thank you.