Friday, May 22, 2009

Exodus 13:17-22

Exodus 13:17 - 22
17 Then it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God did not lead them by way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said, "Lest perhaps the people change their minds when they see war, and return to Egypt." 18 So God led the people around by way of the wilderness of the Red Sea. And the children of Israel went up in orderly ranks out of the land of Egypt. 19 And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him, for he had placed the children of Israel under solemn oath, saying, "God will surely visit you, and you shall carry up my bones from here with you." 20 So they took their journey from Succoth and camped in Etham at the edge of the wilderness. 21 And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so as to go by day and night. 22 He did not take away the pillar of cloud by day or the pillar of fire by night from before the people.


Observation / Application:The harder longer path was best for them. I wonder if they complained a lot about this. Most of them would have surely known that they were seemingly going the “wrong” way.
How often this is my hang up. I see what I deem the best way to get to point A to B and often I find myself getting frustrated if others are not doing what I think is best. I am always reminded of this place in time when the COI wandered in the wilderness for such a long period of time. But of course we can see the whole picture and why it is best. Not to mention that it clearly states that God was the one who lead them this way. In this long journey they had to come to that breaking point over and over again of depending on God for everything. They had to follow the voice of a man (Moses) that was saying he was hearing from God. They had to learn more then ever how to need one another and care for one another regardless of how irritated they would become with each other. This longer path was there to break them to bring them into a right relationship with God. Yes it says "Lest perhaps the people change their minds when they see war, and return to Egypt" and that is huge because this is what we so often do. We pray for one thing and then when it comes about and we start to experience the difficulty of what that brings we so desperately want to return to the other trial from which we came.

One thing I have come to learn through the years ( of course admitting not with complete ease) is that God cares about ALL hearts involved and He will allow the most difficult situation to happen to bring about as many totally surrendered hearts to Him as possible. So if that means that I yet again get to stand and rest in the beauty of watching God love on others then surely that is good enough. If only I would do it with a little less resistance.
Currently I am in the middle of yet another one of these situations. Looking at this piece of scripture corrects my heart and once again makes me see God's love towards all hearts involved and that He is asking me to walk this with grace, compassion, and love. God forgive this heart of mine that looses this focus to often. I don't want the situation to change because I am uncomfortable. I want You to work in full power to bring about Your Glory - whatever that will mean.



Observation/Application:
vs 22 He did not take away the pillar of cloud by day or the pillar of fire by night from before the people.

The pillars of clouds and fire where pictures of how God leads, lighting the way igniting the zeal that should be present in their heart, souls and minds for God. Today we still have this pillar of cloud and pillar of fire, we have the Word of God. It is meant to do this very same thing. Day and night our Lord is still doing the very same thing. All we have to do is use the source that He has so graciously given to us.

Ps 119:105
Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.
Ps 119:130
The entrance of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple.

It always perplexes me that people are asking for prayer for some really hard things and direction and yet if you ask them if they are in the Word they will say no or not much. How can you know what God wants if You are not going to the source, The Word of God. I just had a friend tell me that people no longer want to ask me for prayer or advise because I always ask about their time in the Word. At first I was slightly offended, yes I know that is my pride that was hurt but then as I sat with it I realized well if that’s what people know of me even if it means they don’t care much about me then that’s not really not a bad thing at all at least not in the eyes of God. I guess I just don't understand, O sure I get that this is one of the key places the ENEMY will attack to keep us from being in the Word because even he knows the power in it and the ability it has to ignite a heart for Jesus, to guide us in the ways of our Lord, to strengthen us in times of heartache and confusion, to bring peace and comfort to a weary soul, to grow our faith, and to bring that zeal in our hearts that can start a revival - O he KNOWS ALL RIGHT so the other part of that is DO YOU?

Romans 10:17
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing
by the Word of God

2 comments:

God's Girl said...

Ooooo.... thank you for sharing! I do believe that the people who are seeking God's will - will surely go to the Word of God; and if they don't want to do that, they don't really want to 'know.'

So all of that to say, if people ask for advise, keep asking them that question! : )

Love you friend!

Come visit us!!!!

Elissa Hill said...

That's awsome! You should write a book, your a good writer. : ) . And I'm with ya! We sooo need to be in the Word of God. And don't we all struggle with it from time to time. The enemy loves to come in and attack what we have in the Lord. And as Christian, we tend to justify not being in the Word by saying, 'it's okay if I'm not in the Word because so many believers are not.' So this is our excuse. We compare ourselves to man rather than to God. Sadlly, satan has us fooled. If we only understood how powerful it was. : ) Thanks for your encouraging message : ) .