Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lessons from Exodus 16:1-3

Exodus 16:1-3
1 And they journeyed from Elim, and all the congregation of the children of Israel came to the Wilderness of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after they departed from the land of Egypt. 2 Then the whole congregation of the children of Israel complained against Moses and Aaron in the wilderness. 3 And the children of Israel said to them, "Oh, that we had died by the hand of the LORD in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the pots of meat and when we ate bread to the full! For you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger."

Observation / Application:
VS. 3 And the children of Israel said to them, "Oh, that we had died by the hand of the LORD in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the pots of meat and when we ate bread to the full! For you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger."

Here they are 30 - 60 days after their departure and now they are already forgetting the hardship of life in bondage. Going back to Pharaoh seems far better to them then this unknown wilderness.
I see an interesting thing here 30 - 60 days in and now they are complaining. It’s interesting to me that this is so often my battle. When trying to depart from areas of sin that God exposes to me ( Idols) it’s usually around that 30 - 60 day marker that I to start feeling the tug to compromise what I know God has shown me. Why is that I wonder? I know in the beginning I’m passionate about what I need to do so early on it’s often pretty easy. My victory in doing the right thing carries me in encouragement but then somewhere along that 30 - 60 day marker, the passion begins to fade, the thoughts of compromise begin to take over my thoughts. To the point of actually being able to rationalize it. I think there is a pretty good chunk of wisdom here from God. The temptation to go back will come. Know it and make preparation for it. We don’t always have a Moses to push us through. So that must be the provision we need to make. We all need that Moses person who holds us accountable and helps fight that battle for us.
Right now with me and this med. for my RSL that I am taking, I did exactly this very thing. I talked to a couple of friends that I knew would be boldly honest with me to help me through this adjustment period. And I have a friend that when I can't stand it any more and I need to eat something that I’m craving I can call her and she will kick my butt. You see certain foods are not an option for me anymore my health / heart depends on me doing the right thing. All this stuff with my RSL med and my food allergies are key to living a life honoring God with His temple, my body.
So this should be the same with the things of God. We all need to have that person or persons that will keep us on that right road and when we begin to lose focus, they will boldly, lovingly guide us back. We can’t live without a Moses. If you have been then let me ask you, How’s that been working for you? To live a life for Jesus with only "yes people" around us will never allow us to grow very far. We need each other in that way God intended.
So who comes to your mind right now that is your Moses? Take a moment and thank Jesus for that friend.

Hebrews 10:23-26

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching. If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,





2 comments:

Marsha said...

Thanks, Susan, for stopping by Moments with Marsha...what a nice surprise! I love what you write, and it seems we have similar taste in music...I also love that you've added music to your place! Keep writing, I'll come back to visit you, sometimes, too!
Be blessed today, this very first day of July!
"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands!"
Is 55:12

Elissa Hill said...

Wow, what a neat tie with the 30-60 day mark I love that! And I here ya, I had a Kidney Infection this week, and my week has just been one of those weeks. Thank so much for sharing.